Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Run

I tried to run away from here
Find a place I’d never been
Looking for a leaf to wear
To hide my naked skin

Stole fruit from a corpse’s hand
Tried it out for taste
Found some rotting Conna leaves
And tied them round my waist

I heard the devils behind me
Crushing sticks beneath their feet
So I ran. I ran to another town
One with golden streets

There I thought Id change my name
To something more profound
A name like no one else
To find refuge in its sound

But before I could find a pen
My demons wrote it down
They learned it better than the last
And kissed me to the ground

There I laid in sinking sand
A dying, broken whore
Somehow found my hands and knees
Crawled in anguish to the shore

Led my body to the tainted sea
Let it sink to the floor
Thought here they’d surely let me be
My iniquity no more

But unrestrained they multiplied
In the darkness of the deep
The hosts of hell surrounded me
As I wished myself to sleep

A battlefield encompassed me
They fought for my putrid soul
The devils for its destruction
My angels for its parole

Suddenly my bones went numb
In that infested place
I saw the light that refused to go
It kissed my frozen face

I awoke clothed with mammal fur
Covering my naked shame
Back to the land I was running from
The wind whispering my first name

2 comments:

  1. Hey Caitlin! I stumbled upon this while looking at your facebook. Did you write all of this? I didn't know you wrote poetry. This is really, really good. :) Seriously. I especially like the ones under September 11th and 19th. I struggle with the same things too. I think it's really cool that you're willing to be so honest and open. God really is using you for His glory.

    I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! May the peace of God rest upon you. And may He continue to bless you, and others through you. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're awesome
    lol..

    ReplyDelete