Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Walking the Fence

I hold tight the neck of this bottle
Knuckles turning white
The same way I used to hold that book
Clinging for dear life

That book’s been lost for a while now
Slipped from my trembling hand
But I barely noticed it leave my clutch
As I swallowed my guilt and ran

Been walking this way for quite some time
Straddling uncomfortably by
There is a boding fence that threatens me
Growing up from between my stride

My right foot lightly trotting the road
Cleansed with blood and water
My left foot upon the sand and soot
Of the ashes of my father

With my weight heavily upon the later
Sinking deep under my step
I watch the mud engulf it’s prey
It laughs in utter contempt

Around the bend I spot sinking sand
And try to shift my weight
But it’s been waiting there and it beckons me
With my own blood as it’s bait

The foot upon that street of life
Scrambling for a grip
Is losing the battle and it’s losing faith
Begins to violently slip

I cry out loud in burning anguish
As my body sinks to the left
My thigh slides against the rusted fence
It opens up my flesh

And then I lay there sinking slow
I can taste the stench of death
It burns my nose and it rots my eyes
It takes my very breath

No comments:

Post a Comment